What are self-help groups?
In self-help groups, people meet who share a common concern. They share their experiences and knowledge with each other. They understand, help and strengthen each other and become active together. There is no professional guidance, the group organizes the meetings on its own responsibility. The meetings take place on site or online.
Who can participate?
Affected persons and/or relatives of all ages, women and men, in other words: all people who would like to participate in a self-help group.
What should I bring with me?
The willingness to talk about your own problems and issues and to actively listen to other people.
What does it cost me?
Self-help groups are usually free of charge. There may be a fee for renting a room.
Can I simply go to a group meeting?
The groups are generally open to new people.
With some groups you can just go, others you want to contact in advance. We will provide you with the necessary information.
- Anonymity and a protected space for contact, exchange and information.
- the possibility for positive change
- an important complement to medical and therapeutic treatment
- help and advice in difficult life situations or illnesses
- a framework to draw strength, courage and hope.
There are good reasons for self-help in groups: Together you can simply achieve more!
In Middle Franconia, about 900 self-help groups are currently active on a wide variety of topics:
- Dependence problems (e.g. alcohol, eating disorders, gambling addiction)
- General life issues (e.g. joint project ideas, separation, mourning)
- Disabilities (e.g. visual impairment, hearing loss)
- Parents (e.g. single parents, parents of chronically ill children)
- Women/men (discussion groups on various topics)
- Skin diseases (e.g. psoriasis, scleroderma)
- Internal diseases (e.g. asthma, diabetes, rheumatism)
- Neurological diseases (e.g. multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease)
- Psychological diseases (e.g. anxiety, depression)
- Tumor diseases (e.g. women after cancer, laryngectomies)
For other topics just contact us!
Our consultations are confidential and free of charge.
We advise and support
- People who are looking for a suitable group
- affected persons/relatives who would like to found a self-help group
- existing self-help groups
- health care professionals and other professionals
We initiate and organize
- a network between the groups
- information events and trainings
- joint projects with self-help groups and cooperation partners
- trainings for health care professionals on the topic of self-help
We are represented
in political committees on municipal, district and Bavarian level.
We provide rooms
for group meetings of self-help groups
Costs: 2 € per person
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
We speak Arabic, German, English, Turkish and Spanish.
Am Plärrer 15
Phone 0911 234 94 49
Fax 0911 234 94 48
Telephone office hours
Monday 10 – 13 h and 14 – 17 h
Tuesday 2 – 5 p.m.
Wednesday 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Thursday 10 am – 1 pm
Consultation in Turkish language
Contact person: Özgür Demir
Tuesday 10 – 12 o’clock
Tel. 0911 376 773 99
Counseling in Arabic
Contact person: Mona El-Faourie
Thursday, 2 – 5 p.m.
Tel. 0911 376 773 99
Please make an appointment for personal counseling sessions.